Sunday, April 11, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things (part 1)

Because I have been very disconnected of late and because I have had a major writer's block, I assigned myself the task of making a list of ten things that make me happy.

10. Stress shopping
I don't care if this is just ridiculously girly. I can't remember the last time I just shopped to shop. It's always right before/after a test, on a deadline, during particularly bad days. And you know what? I like it. I like buying things to make myself feel better because it WORKS.

9. Sugar Mama's
We haven't been lately, but Griffin and I visit this tiny shop enough for the hipster-baker guy that is constantly working the counter to recognize us when we run into him at Waterloo. I think if you don't like this place you either didn't have a childhood or don't have a soul. It's family owned, it's blue and red on the inside, they sell aprons, and they make seriously tasty cupcakes. I still refuse to name a favorite because I haven't actually cycled through their entire cupcake collection, but I couldn't even pick from the ones I've had thus far.


8. Old books
I just brought Dad's old French textbook back to school with me. It had "HI" written in the front of it in this silly, swirly script, and I absolutely adore it. It makes me want to take notes in my books and buy editions with interesting covers. One of my very favorite old books is the double edition Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass that my Granddad gave me. He took almost illegible notes in the margins.

7. Fresh sheets
and the way my car rides after going from no gas to a full tank are probably the best sensory feelings that I can think of. I think I first started noticing how good it was after this girl told me that our dead skin cells add 10 extra pounds to sheets. Aside from that little tidbit being dispelled in the rinse cycle, I love the way they smell and that soft quality they have every time they come out of the dryer.

6. Running
I had to put this lower on the list because, currently, running is the reason my left ankle is twice the size of the other, and my knee, instep, and outside of my foot are purpled with bruises. Regardless, sometimes I can think of nothing better than running with music blasting in my ears. I love the individualism involved with it. I love pushing myself further than I thought I could go. The satisfaction I get from meeting a mileage goal is pretty up there achievement wise.



One through five to come later. I'm going to play frisbee golf with Andrew, Ryan and Sam. Our team name? Four Man Wolf Pack. WIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment