Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

I'm not going to provocatively tell you where I put my handbag in my Facebook status. I won't tell you what color bra I'm wearing to catch your attention. I won't wear shirts that say "Save the Boobies," and I have to admit I don't even have a bracelet.

But, I do have a story.















Her colleagues called her Dr. J. The prisoners whose teeth she worked on at work knew her as the "hat lady." A child's mistake gave her the nickname Cinde Doctor. My dad knew her as Cinde, and I knew her as Mom.

My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1992. Her cancer was so developed at the point of diagnosis that she was given only six months to live. However, my mother was not one to accept things lightly. During her battle with breast cancer, she worked hard to give me the firm foundation of morals and work ethic that I still carry with me today. Her determination and strength gave her seven years with my father and me after her initial diagnosis of only half a year.

In the picture, you can see she is bald. This is after yet another bout with chemotherapy that caused her to lose her hair. The picture was taken at the Fowler's house, a close family friend. Lindsey recently discovered how to make hairbands, and without thinking ran up to my mother, who was near the end of her life, and gave her a hairband to wear on her bald head. Without even flinching she grabbed the hairband and put it on her head with no thoughts or self-pity toward her situation. It became yet another thing she could laugh about. This was the kind of person my mother was.

It is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. For this month there will be many status updates, races, and other awareness raised, which I think is a wonderful rallying cry. However, I have to tell you that every month I am conscious to the research for breast cancer and the pain and struggle that those who suffer from the terrible illness. Research has made great strides toward a cure, but they have a long way to go.

Until then, I'll keep praying. I'll give when I can. I'll keep hope that this kind of care can and does last past October.



I love you, Mom. I miss you every day.

2 comments:

  1. My wonderful Aunt Cinde, as I called this woman in the picture, was in a drug trial long ago. That drug is now on the market for cancer patients. I dispense that same medication everyday, and it has helped many men and women beat this horrible disease. So, your mother in turn, has helped more people than you will ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you. :) You're amazing.. She's amazing.

    ReplyDelete