Thursday, July 1, 2010

Vivre

It is HOT.


I know that if you happen to be reading this you are probably from Texas. I realize it is hot in Texas, but let me tell you something that the Promiseland adopted that France has not.





















AIR CONDITIONING
One of the best feelings in the world is coming in from a scorching day into cool, cool air. I go from scorching days into a three-bedroom sauna. Seriously, the only source of fresh air is an open window. During the cooler weather this was perfect, but literally overnight the weather went from cool to nearly unbearable.

But, wah wah boohoo for me, huh?

I went to Saintes Maries de la Mer last weekend, which is a little beach town that Bob Dylan used go to. It tripped me out thinking about old Bobby writing songs on the beach. We also went to Arles and Avignon. Arles was probably one of the more charming places we have visited. I saw the café featured in Van Gogh's Le Café la Nuit. It was very Romanesque, which is by far my favorite architectural style. On the way back to Lyon we stopped at the Pont du Gard to swim in the river underneath, which was freezing. Imagine New Braunfels, but colder. Regardless, I spent about two hours getting acclimated, then jumped from a rock and almost died in sea(river?)weed. I still sound like I am complaining, but I am totally not. We picnicked there and it was very cute and picturesque.

I am so depressed about my pictures not uploading! You are going to have an overload when I get back 'villeside.

Also, let me tell you about one of the best things that could have possibly happened. Through out the year, France generally doesn't have sales in stores because of very strict government regulation, BUT on June 30 of every year until August 1 there are LES SOLDES. Now, what are these? Well, they are, quite simply, THE SALES. I am talking Black Friday type sales for a month. I am pretty sure I just walked around buying things and giggling for a few hours, and round two is starting tomorrow. My dress, according to my host mom, is getting quite European.

AND my French is improving. Most notably my comprehension, but my speaking as well. In fact, a shopgirl gossiped with me about how strange she thought it was that the girl before me switched from speaking fluent French to broken English. SHE COMPLAINED TO ME ABOUT ENGLISH SPEAKERS, SHE TOTES THOUGHT I WAS FRENCH.

This blog has gone on long enough. I will try to update more often so I am not directly recounting my days.

...and by the way, how are y'all?

1 comment:

  1. SHE COMPLAINED TO ME ABOUT ENGLISH SPEAKERS, SHE TOTES THOUGHT I WAS FRENCH.

    OMG ABBY. THAT IS KINDA FREAKING AWESOME. COME BACK TO THE STATES AND TELL ME MORE STORIES!

    ReplyDelete